“Luminous straw-yellow. Strong notes of spicy botrytis complicate the rich, dense aromas and flavors of ripe pomaceous orchard fruits, sweet spices, honey and grilled mango. Tactile and dense, with mouth-coating fruit flavors on a long, lively, creamy finish that is luscious and sweet (64 g/L r.s. and 7.7 g/L total acidity).”93 point Vinous
Herrenreben” : In the 15th century, these vines were already famous as the property of the noblemen of Ribeaupierre. For this RIESLING, only berries affected by noble rot were harvested, in the poorest part of the “Herrenreben” where the grapes become easily concentrated which favors the development of noble rot.
This outstanding Riesling won a gold medal at the Riesling of the World 2008 .
Surface area : 80 ares (2 acres)
Location : hillsides at the entrance of a valley with a high elevation from 400 to 450 m south / south-west exposure to the sun
Soil : the soil is a light sandy soil made of very decomposed granite with a fractured granite basement
Age of the vines : 40 years
Production : 3 120 bottles
Main analytic characteristics :
– alcohol = 12,4°
– residual sugar = 63,9 g/l
– tartaric acidity = 7,09 g/l
– pH = 3.14
Tasting notes :
– A bright yellow colour with gold reflections.
– A well developed and complex nose, first presenting citrus aromas with hints of pineapple and rhubarb, then developing aromas of over-ripeness (beeswax, honey, candied fruits) and some mineral notes. .
– On the palate, after a silky entry it is a blossoming of very delicate aromas. Despite its richness and complexity, it is a very elegant sweet wine with a perfect balanced thanks to its beautiful acidity which also provides a very long finish on a astonishing sensation of freshness.
A wonderful wine to drink on its own, for pleasure (as an aperitif or in the evening). Its vivacity permits excellent pairings with rich fish dishes (seafood cassollette, fish in white butter, scallops cooked with Noilly…) as well as with exotic dishes such as Tajines of chicken with candied citrus, etc. It would be also a perfect match with acidic desserts such as apple or red berries crumble, exotic fruits salad (especially with passion fruits), lemon or rhubarb tarts…
Ageing : It can be enjoyed now or still benefit from some years of ageing (more than 10 years)